Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Thunderstorms Across the Valley


So our meals have improved a bit since the last journal. This week we had a spiced breakfast for dinner, eggs, pumpkin muffins and Kraft's "Pear Spice" recipe (pear with crushed vanilla wafer and cinnamon cool whip). We got creative as I have had the pumpkin bread mix in my cupboards since Christmas. The first month after having Riley Grace I took a bit of a break from cooking; now we are getting back around to everything I had once considered baking. Which reminds me that I still have peanutbutter balls in the freezer from Christmas! Wonder how long those will be good; guess I need to buy some chocolate chips to melt after our next trip to Walmart.

I'm currently watching one of our many summer storms clear through our eastern Kentucky valley. The view from our humble rental is absolutely stunning. We are set in a lush valley surrounded by green mountains. Not as large as the mountains in the heart of Asheville, but just as majestic as I watch lightening strike across the dark sky and listen to rain pellets pound on our roof. How mighty is our God.

I was wishing tonight that we had a covered porch like the one from our childhood parsonage in North Carolina (Dongell parsonage). I remember watching the thunderstorms from a safe, dry place, while cuddled in my parents' arms. And only because we are living in the south, do I also feel the need for an ice cold sweet tea from my Nana. Sorry Mama B, I did say sweet tea! My husband and his Texas family think that unsweetened tea is better but I am afraid I will always beg to differ that the south has learned best how to make tea. The secret, tons of sugar boiled in with the tea bags and water.

And just as quick as it came, the thunderstorm in our valley has passed. I had forgotten how much they used to scare me and how quickly they come and go. Ironic, I suppose this is much like storms in life.

1 comment:

About Brandon said...

That's cool that you guys have a pretty view of the mountains!

Love the pics of B-Town and Riley in your other post too.

B