Friday, September 26, 2008

Are We Really in America?

For most of the world, it was a regular week. I'm sure it revovled around work, bills, and family. Asheville was a completely different story. Had I realized last Sunday, the high gas prices would have been the least of my worries.

Lines I first thought were for traffic turned into gas lines just so families could make it home at night. For the last two weeks gas has been scarce. Two weeks ago fuel could be found if needed, though you had to drive around awhile to find a gas station with supply left. This week, everyone raced to a gas station when it opened. On Tuesday morning I drove to work to realize my empty light was on. Foolish of me, I know. The problem was, there were only two gas stations around Asheville with fuel and I wasn't sure if I could wait long enough to fill my tank. Hearing talk that it could be another two weeks until gas flowed regularly, a few co-workers and I drove 30 minutes away to fill up. Gas was being rationed, so we had to stop at multiple places. If you did not have cash, you were out of luck.

All week my co-workers have been leaving for long periods just to wait in line for enough gas to hold their vehicles through. One co-worker waited in a two hour line just for the fuel to run out four cars in front of her. Another employee of The Cove mentioned he drove an hour and a half away the night before to fill up his truck. Others talked about four hour lines.

It is unheard of, the rationing of gas in the US. Needing cash to fill up; not being able to fill up gas containers for friends stranded on the side of the road, literally. The problem continues as Asheville folk hoard what they can get in their time of need. We have seen some relief but until the aftermath of the Gulf hurricane's clear up, the gas will still be rationed.

1 comment:

Museice said...

I've been reading about the gas shortages in N.C. but you are the first to say that "cash only" was in force in some places. Gas stations not letting you use a credit/debit card is a whole nother problem.