Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Blood Diamond


If you are looking for an emotional, heart-wrenching movie...Blood Diamond is the one. Regardless, it is one that everyone should take the time to see. Brenton and I were told to rent the movie because it was a real eye-opener about a true, historical event. Having no idea what to expect and forgetting the reality that many face, I was speechless when then the credits began to scroll on the screen.

I don't want to spoil the whole movie for those who have not seen it, but be ready for a hard reality. After the movie, I remember sitting in our living room wondering how I can live such a complacent life. Later, I realized that the following evening I had already forgotten what I had seen the night before and had, yet again, live another complacent day. However, understanding that somewhere in the world others are facing similar plights as those in this movie, I became so covicted about always living a life of passion. With how blessed I am and with all the God has given me, I should be the first to make the most of every opportunity. I don't want to waste any more valuable time. However, I understand that reality is only going to sink in with constant reminders or how blessed I am. I am blessed, we are blessed, you are blessed! Regardless of what we are going through, there are always others going through trials that are beyond our human comprehension. (While I don't mean to minimize anyone's struggles, we need to remember it is all about perspective.)

If you have time to read a little more, take a second to browse this website (http://www.sos-usa.org) that talks about the causes for orphan children in Africa. Leonardo DiCaprio, who starred in the movie, is shown with some of the orphans also featured in the movie.

3 comments:

About Brandon said...

I enjoyed that movie too, but I enjoyed this post even more! As your sister Jen might say, 'You go girl!'

B

Anonymous said...

Kel, Tyler and I rented that movie this past weekend and watched it because I saw it on your blog...it was really touching. Good post and good movie!

Kelly Benware said...

I'm glad to have inspired the two of you, hope you enjoyed it!

Kel